So it’s that time of year, as a student, picking your house for next year can be a cause for great stress. But it doesn’t need to be – here are a few handy tips to help you find a great house minus the stress:
1. Choosing housemates – this is always a cause of concern for many. Just be honest to those that you are talking to, and if sharing a house isn’t your thing, you can apply to be a residential advisor on campus.
2. Sort out a budget – once you have a group, have a chat and work out what you can afford, be considerate, some of your friends might not have as high a budget as you.
3. Don’t forget bills! Bills are normally not included in the house, so make sure you take this into account in your budgeting.
4. Work out what you want – before searching for houses think about what you all want, is it to be close to uni or town? Do you all want double bedrooms? Do you want a lounge for hosting? This makes it easier when searching for properties.
5. House viewings – It’s best if all of you go to the house viewings, if you can’t, then make sure there are at least two of you, and take pictures and videos so the rest of your housemates can see it before you make a decision
6. Questions! When viewing houses, make sure you go with a list of questions to ask the letting agent. e.g. when was the boiler last serviced?
7. Speak to the current tenants! If they are in when you view the property, have a chat with them. How have they found the house? Have they had any problems? What’s the landlord/ letting agent like?
8. Keep calm. Houses can go quickly, don’t let this stress you out. If your ‘perfect house’ gets snapped up, don’t worry, there are hundreds of options out there and another ‘perfect house’ will come along!
9. Don’t rush into anything! The agents often have a habit of pressurising you, don’t let them rush you into picking a house, go away and sit in a cafe and discuss with your housemates over a coffee, then give them a call.
10. Get your tenancy agreements checked – just visit the University’s Housing Office or Sussex Student Lettings
There you have it, 10 tips to help you get through the housing process!